Billboard advertising, despite being a conventional media in advertising is now a major mover in the marketing and advertising industry. In the past 3 years, billboards have emerged as among the most widely used media for advertisers not only among brand owners but in the entertainment industry as well.
Millions spent by entertainment advertisers
You would have seen billboard ads by major television channels and pay-per-view players like Netflix in the last 6 months or so. Billboards are very effective advertising channels because they serve as the first level of information.
How this works?
The first step to billboard advertising is always knowing your target audience. This is the most crucial decision that must be made before jumping into messaging and location. Once you know who your target audience is, then you know where you can place your billboard. For instance:
- if you are targeting young executives who are car owners, your billboard should be in the highways connecting suburbs like Federal Highway and LDP
- if you are targeting school children, your billboard should be visible around bus stops and train stations
- if you are targeting C-Suite level managers, then your billboard could well be effective along the KLIA highway
- if you are targeting public transportation users who are mobile and very portable, you should advertise your billboard along major roads and high-traffic locations
Why billboard works with social media?
You want your billboard to be relevant. That is the line between success and failure. If you are billboard has the intended impact with your viewer, then half of your battle is won. This is how it works:
- Step 1 – Your billboard is the information channel. The idea behind this is to captivate your audience and to inform them. You might not need them to fully remember what you have in your billboard. This means that having a strong visual with bold words might just do the trick. At this stage, your billboard ad is to INFORM
- Step 2 – Persuasion comes with a pull-strategy. Your billboard should have a call-to-action from your viewers. That means it could be a website for them to visit or a QR code that they can scan. This might be somewhat challenging but as long as you can pull your viewer to you (social media would be ideal), then you can now PERSUADE them. Taking note that your viewer only have a few seconds viewing your billboard. You must have a social network which is easy to remember so that they can now visit you.
- Step 3 – Use YouTube where necessary. this concept works the same way as Facebook and Instagram. If they remember you, they will search for you. Once they are at your site, you have them as your lead. It is now up to you to convert the lead to sales (or purchases).
- Step 4 – Once your pull strategy works, it is time to REMIND your potential customers. If they have LIKED your posts or have visited your Facebook page, you can now constantly REMIND them through promotions and other offers
Take note: This strategy starts from a billboard which will then be integrated and extended to your social networks.
Issues to consider
In any case, you must be aware that advertising on social networks are very popular and saturated. This simply means that you might have your competitors advertising in the same platform and are targeting your audience as well. You can spend millions on social network advertising and find yourself competing for the same space and time with your closest rivals.
On the other hand, you must consider physical advertising which although being regarded by many as being out-of-date and probably obsolete, still has its lustre. Think about it! If you are on billboards, you have some form of exclusivity in terms of location and target audience especially when it is meant for the people within the vicinity.
The trick here is to have a call-to-action that connect your viewer to your social network in one way or another. Once you have them in your site, your integrated campaign succeeds.