The World Wide Web is an uncontrolled channel. When a company decides to put a brand online, the company should assign a department to handle and protect the brand. Besides protecting the brand online, the department is supposed to look out for errors or inconsistencies in the site.
Problems with websites causing brand damage
Sadly, companies take action long after problems occurred. This in fact has damaged the brand and organization itself. Customers then identify the brand’s poor management and thus, the company loses its credibility. It often leads to loss of revenue and also might face the risk of litigation.
Best practices must be adopted
Since most companies have learnt their lesson from other occurring cases, they are now aware of the need to protect their brand online. Companies also implement stricter web managing standards. Company should not overlook web standards because the brand and web standards are both equally important.
What are the standards involved?
Web standards that are set by the company should cover:
- Search Engine Optimization
- Formal Mechanism
- Legal Standards that refer to Internet Protocol protection, privacy and data protection.
Accessibility standards ensure the web site works without problem for users with disabilities and other needs. And lastly, the standards should also include usability as this feature optimizes visitor experience.
Standards must be managed
Effective management of standards benefits a company in various ways. Firstly, it helps to protect the brand and company reputation, manage online risk, provides high quality user experience and other issues.
Tips to use standards efficiently
Web standards management are mostly implemented by ‘early adopters’ because other companies viewed it as a complex process. These companies are at risk of facing problems in the future. But no worries as here are practical tips to use standards effectively to manage the brand online. These tips help your organization to refine online performance as well as protect reliability of your brand and company.
- Tip 1: Know your medium – Besides emphasizing on the fonts and colours, the standard should include all these elements; usability, editorial, SEO, legal and technical standards.
- Tip 2: Establish authority procedures – As mentioned previously, companies need to set aside a central department to monitor the on-goings besides enforcing standards. It adopts the same set of procedures as offline brand.
- Tip 3: Communicate regularly with web editors – It is extremely important to keep your web editors updated with the on-goings and updates of the brand.
- Tip 4: Identify the standards – When you categorize the documents, if possible, avoid ambiguity to prevent confusion. Provide understandable and clear rules.
- Tip 5: Standardize the code – It helps you to monitor and handle the web site quality besides saving time and money. The standardization of codes prevents repetition of similar codes in the future.
- Tip 6: Keep the standard guidelines updated – You have to inform the web editors should you make changes in the standard guideline.
- Tip 7: Remember to measure the standards on regular basis – From time to time, you have the responsibility to measure and monitor the standards on regular basis. Besides that, you are also required to communicate issues with the web editors.
- Tip 8: Define the benefits for specific standard
Register for free in order to comment and receive more Malaysia marketing tips