Marketing in social media is easier said than done. This is more so if you are using a social media which is not as huge as the likes of Facebook or Twitter. One of the networks you can consider is Reddit.
What is Reddit known for?
What Reddit brings to the users is a mixture of content. Known as the ‘Front Page of the Internet’, such a claim can be daunting if you do not know how to use it effectively. So, what does Reddit brings to the table? Among them include:
- News and current events
- Social commentary
- Cool and related links
- computer and tech information
How should you use Reddit?
Like any of the social networks, there are certain dos and don’ts in Reddit. Often called the ‘Reddiquette’ (Reddit and Etiquette, get it?), you can start streaming extremely useful traffic to you if you get this right. Hence, the first thing you must learn is how Reddit works.
- Reddit is category based – these are called sub-reddits. Typically, how it works is that there are categories for topics and content of anything under the sun here. This simply means that if you are planning to use Reddit for your campaign, it should (must) fall under the right category so that your submission does not get lost within the millions of posts
- Karma – This is concept within Reddit which is quite interesting. Like what Karma means, it is your standing in the community which is derived through the comments or links you posted. What it does is that it serves as an indicator of your standing.
- Username – When you register for a Reddit account, ensure that you have chosen a username which reflects your brand name or image. You might even use a name to reflect your campaign as well.
Useful tips for Reddit marketing
So, now that you know some of how Reddit works, you can get on with your campaign. To do that, you might want to ensure the following:
- Know your target – They are known as Redditors and they are all about content. Its not like other social media where you are judged by who you know. This is about what you know!
- Stay unique – Be creative and go for edgy stuff. Your Redditors are in this network because they like things that are interesting and that which excites them.
- Profile of Redditors – In one of the recent statistics, it was found that Reddit users were mostly male. The largest age group of users are between 35 and 44 years of age while those between 25 and 34 are fast coming up as well. A majority of Redditors have formal education with a lot of them holding a first degree with a good annual income.
- Traffic – This is one social media which has been enjoying high traffic especially in recent years. Having been around since 2006, it has breached the 2 million mark and this number continues to grow.
- Duration of stay – Redditors are known to spend hours on the site. Their behaviour is very much similar to that of YouTubers who click from one point to another. Unlike Twitter which has a limit to the number of characters you can post, Reddit does not impose this restriction. This simply means that marketers can paste the entire link in Reddit
- Use Upvoting – Like many other social media, you can upvote to get your content to the top. However, this can be done at the freewill of the users. In order to do this, the best way is to have as many posts as possible.
- Subreddits – You would want to use Subreddit if you want to be more targeted in your campaign. Ensure that your topics are relevant which will then get a lot of submissions that can then be translated into traffic. It is as simple as that!
- Customize – One good thing about Reddit is that you can customize your front page. This can be done using the ‘frontpage’ function on subreddit. In doing so, you can have a page that reflects your identity which could include your interests, your brand, your name and other related resources. Besides that, it could include interesting bits of news that are relate as well.
Know your target
Ultimately, you need to know who you want to be reading your posts. If you are not careful, you will find that your campaign could just fall flat. Your target communities could be the following:
- Personal readers – those w hike to read interesting stories
- Gamers – A strong community of gamers across the world can be connected in Reddit
- Politics and Religion – A lot of posts on these topics are very active
- Visual Images – This includes art and photography, among other related ones
- Food – Great for food bloggers and those who want to learn more about them
- Health and fitness – A great platform for the fitness enthusiasts. Health-conscious readers spend hours going through resource after resource for tips and advice