Malaysia, like any other active and emerging economies across the world has a very vibrant and dynamic digital market. More than 85% of Malaysians who are on the internet use mobile broadband services which means that there is a huge market of users on smartphones in the country.
Below are the top Android or IOS Apps used in Malaysia
Malaysians enjoy a wide range of mobile apps which are similar to other countries around the world. Whether it is iOS or Android, mobile apps in Malaysia has a strong market and following with millions of downloads being recorded each day.
The usual suspects top the list of ranking among Malaysians which is as follow:
- WhatsApp Messenger – This is the top mobile app in many countries and Malaysia recorded the largest users which was reported at 51%.
- Facebook Messenger – the messenger app by Facebook is second in this list which has been garnering a lot of popularity in recent years
- Facebook – This refers to the social media application used in mobile and smartphones
- Spotify – One of the fastest growing music and audio sharing app, Spotify is bundled with telcos and used in major events
- SHAREit – This document and information sharing app tops the list among others within the same category
- Mobile Legends – Among the many action games, Mobile Legends top the ranking which mainly consist of younger users
- Instagram – The mobile app owned by Facebook at number 7 and is expected to climb up the list in the coming years.
- Hotlink RED – owned by Maxis Broadband, this prepaid app is among the most used among those in the younger age group
- Grab – Ride-sharing app tops this category with special offers and promotions
- WeChat – Used by most smartphone users with WhatsApp. Mostly popular among the students and young adults
- JOOX – rival to Spotify, this is an alternative to the music sharing app
- Shopee – New addition to the online shopping market, this app has garnered a lot of traction since its launch a few years ago, offering easier methods to buy and sell
- Uber – This ride-sharing app is the alternative to Grab and has been established longer
- Waze – Used by vehicle owners and drivers, the navigation is one of the most important ones around
- Facebook Lite – downloaded by users who do not wish to exhaust their data and mostly popular with prepaid users
- Lazada – online e-commerce site’s mobile app version
- Candy Crush – perhaps the most popular mobile app game in recent years since Angry Birds, Candy Crush is a mainstay in any top mobile app list
- Mudah.my – online buy and sell C2C market’s mobile app offers the user and easy way to post preloved and new items for sale including cars and even properties
- Age of Immortals – Another game which has become very popular through the mobile app platform
- Maybank2U – Recently launched a new interface with improved security (using fingerprint sign-in) and others, this is the top mobile banking app in Malaysia
- LINE – Japan-based messenger app with its stickers are surely here to stay for a long time
- Sing! Karaoke – A great way to sing and share with others
- Telegram – a new addition to the messenger app sector which has been gathering a lot of popularity in recent years, giving the major players a run for their money
- Subway Surfers – A popular game which has been around for many years now and still going strong
- SnapChat – Fast coming up as one of the preferred messaging apps among young adults
- YouTube – Users spend hours on YouTube and the mobile apps just gives them more options on this video-sharing platform
- Viber – not the most popular messaging app in Malaysia but is high in the rankings anyhow </li?
- Shazam – this music discovery app is a mainstay in most smartphones as it integrates with music sharing apps like Spotify and YouTube
- Camera360 – camera enhancement app which is hugely popular among female users and students
- AirAsia – The mobile app of budget airline AirAsia tops the list of travel applications
- MyMaxis – the mobile app used by Maxis users to track their users and to download special offers for shopping and other purchases
- Pinterest – Social media platform for sharing of ‘Pins’ of images and other similar interests among the users of the community
- Google Translate – Among the most downloaded apps from Google, this is an extensive and very useful app that helps users to translate words and phrases in a variety of languages
- Dropbox – online document sharing app is used by students, corporations and just about anyone who collaborate in work or education. This app integrates with the desktop version, making it extremely convenient
- BeautyPlus – Photo and image editor used extensively by those who takes a lot of photos on their smartphones
- Bigo – up and coming mobile app which allows users to share real-time videos with others within the community.
- Carousell – Popular e-marketplace mobile app garnering a lot of popularity lately
- MyDistress – An emergency response app which is a must-have for every smartphone user in Malaysia
Celcom Channelx Music and Games Mobile App
Write on walls, poke existing friends and make new ones all from your mobile phone. You don’t need a smartphone when you have Facebook via SMS for unlimited usage. Facebook has never been more accessible and affordable.