Mobile applications work best if you have the right tools and applications. WFA or Wi-Fi advertising is regarded by many in the industry to be the next big thing in the marketing sector.
Wi-Fi Advertising at its best
Wi-Fi advertising is, as the name implies advertising using Wi-fi networks. It is a revolutionary push strategy for many advertisers who are looking to capitalize on this platform. What you want really is to have your strategy right and use the right methods as below.
The most common platform involved in Wi-Fi advertising is through venue. This is a straightforward, location-based advertising method where you can:
- Maximize your push of ads to your recipients
- Cater for customized promotional material for a certain location
- Reach a large pool of target audience in a certain venue
In most cases, media owners in Wi-Fi advertising will offer various packages for you to choose from. Depending largely on your budget, packages could include:
- Basic – this is where random banners will be used and displayed across the landing page. As the venue provider, you will have analytical data you can use like number of ad-views, click-through pages and conversions.
- Extended – Some media owners will offer you with a more extended package which includes the Basic package with additional features. Banner ads are default but you get to enjoy more than that including interstitials, pop-ups or pop-unders and even keyword advertising. Besides that, you get to enjoy location-based ads as well.
- Customized – This type of package are offered by certain media owners where you get to pick and choose from a wide range of features.
Mobile networks and WFA
You must adopt a more contemporary approach when it comes to Wi-Fi advertising. This will then enable you to empower your clients to organize and implement their own Wi-Fi advertising channels better and way more efficient. This includes:
- Wi-Fi Hotspots – This gives the client the ability to manage their own Wi-Fi hotspots. This includes managing the bandwidth, user access and management as well as other related areas which mean there is a possibility to design a more corporate splash portal(s)
- Target segmenting – Such a platform enables you to engage your customers better because you now have the ability to find out who your target segments are and how to connect with them. This feature allows you to generate additional revenue through engines like third-party advertising
- Data and analytics – using a digital platform means you now have the avenue to generate and accumulate data for further analysis. By knowing who logs in and the duration spent in your network, you can profile customers and users which in return helps you to make better judgments for future predictions and forecast
- Compatibility – such a platform must be designed to be compatible with current hardware and software architecture. This ensures seamless connection for both the venue provider and the users of the network
Tips on Wi-Fi Advertising
Ultimately, like any other form of advertising, Wi-Fi can be one of the platforms you can leverage on which can propel your campaign to a very high level. After all, Wi-Fi advertising is one of the primary engines involved in location-based advertising and it is significantly changing the marketing sector in many ways. Below are some tips you can consider:
- Location – Wi-Fi advertising allows you to target a specific segment of customers. If you are in Subang Jaya, then you know that your segment are profiles of customers in that location which have a lot of young adults, college students and working executives. In fact, by knowing the location you are advertising beforehand, you plan better and become more efficient.
- Genre – Remembering that all Wi-Fi advertising is dependent on the category of business it is in. It could be a restaurant (most common), a hotel, a tourist hotspot or a university. The concept is similar to location. Once you know the customers who are patronizing the location, you know who they are. Not many media allows this
- Landing Page – This is the one platform that either makes or break your campaign. It is the first page that the user sees when he logs in. In other words, you have the whole page that will be viewed by every user that uses your Wi-Fi network. You have just a couple of seconds before they click away. Once they do, you lose their attention until they log in again. As such, it is extremely crucial that you make this page count!
- Messaging and design – The landing page (or splash page) must have the appropriate messaging for your brand and advertisers. Ensure that the words used are brief, straightforward and precise. Use only visuals that have impact so that it keeps your viewer on the page instead of quickly clicking away from the page.
The main idea is to ensure that you have the longest possible duration with your viewer the moment they land on this page (thereby the name).
Benefits & Advantages of Wifi Advertising
Wi-Fi Advertising is one of the contemporary platforms used for marketing communication in recent years especially in light of the growing mobile technology applications. When computers, smartphones and mobile devices are connected via a certain network of a location, it gives brand owners a new platform to engage a group of more targeted consumers.
How does it work?
In most cases, Wi-Fi advertising occurs as a location-based service. Users who use a Wi-Fi hotspot would need to go through a landing page (usually via a browser) before starting to use the free internet service. This means that the user will have to inevitably see the advertising page each time a connection is established.
The demand for this can be quite attractive for advertisers because Free Wi-Fi is among the most demanded services across the world.
Location based advertising
Because free Wi-Fi is very much dependent on the location, it gives a lot of opportunities for different advertisers in different places. This means that local businesses within the Free Wi-Fi location would enjoy a lot of ad-views because of the landing page. Among the places that you can engage Wi-Fi advertising include:
- restaurants and cafes (or other F&B outlets)
- shopping malls
- retail outlets
- Convenience or grocery stores
- Airports and Bus terminals
- and many others
Benefits of Wi-Fi Advertising
So, what makes Wi-Fi advertising such an attractive option for brand owners? Among the benefits are:
- Forget generic target audience – you can now target a specific target audience because it is very location based
- Brand image – Wi-Fi advertising allows you to build a brand image. Unlike other forms of advertising, your users are not annoyed because your ads are related to them
- Relevance – As you are now connecting with your target audience, you will be able to send relevant messages to them. This is because you are reaching the right audience in the best location and at the most suitable time